The Ferritin test contains 1 test with 1 biomarker.
Description: A Ferritin test is a blood test that measures Ferritin levels in your blood’s serum to evaluate the level of iron stored in your body.
Also Known As: Ferritin Serum Test, Ferritin Test, Ferritin Blood Test
Collection Method: Blood Draw
Specimen Type: Serum
Test Preparation: No preparation required
When is a Ferritin test ordered?
When a CBC test’s implies iron deficiency anemia due to small red blood cells or low hematocrit and hemoglobin levels, the ferritin test, and other iron tests, may be requested, even if other clinical symptoms have not yet arisen.
There are frequently no physical symptoms in the early stages of iron insufficiency. Symptoms rarely develop before hemoglobin falls below dangerous levels. However, when the iron deficit continues, symptoms emerge, prompting a doctor to order ferritin and other iron-related testing. The following are the most prevalent symptoms of iron deficiency anemia:
- Chronic tiredness/fatigue
- Skin that is pale
Shortness of breath, ringing in the ears, sleepiness, and irritability may occur as iron levels are reduced. Chest pain, headaches, limb pains, shock, and even heart failure may occur as the anemia worsens. Learning impairments can occur in children. There are some symptoms that are specific to iron deficiency, in addition to the usual signs of anemia. Pica, a burning feeling in the tongue or a smooth tongue, ulcers at the corners of the mouth, and spoon-shaped finger- and toe-nails are only a few of the symptoms.
When iron overload is suspected, a ferritin level may be requested. Iron overload symptoms differ from person to person and tend to worsen over time. They are caused by an excess of iron in the blood and tissues. Among the signs and symptoms are:
- Joint discomfort
- Weakness and exhaustion
- Loss of weight
- Energy deficiency
- Pain in the abdomen
- Suffering from a lack of sexual desire
- Hair loss on the body
- Congestive heart failure is an example of a cardiac issue
Other iron tests including a genetic test for hereditary hemochromatosis may be conducted to confirm the existence of iron excess.
What does a Ferritin blood test check for?
Ferritin is an iron-containing protein that stores iron in cells in its most basic form. The amount of total iron stored in the body is reflected in the little amount of ferritin released into the blood. This test determines how much ferritin is present in the blood.
About 70% of the iron consumed by the body is integrated into the hemoglobin of red blood cells in healthy humans. The remaining 30% is stored primarily as ferritin or hemosiderin, which is a combination of iron, proteins, and other elements. Hemosiderin and ferritin are typically found in the liver, although they can also be found in the bone marrow, spleen, and skeletal muscles.
Iron stores are depleted and ferritin levels fall when available iron is insufficient to meet the body's needs. This can happen owing to a lack of iron, poor absorption, or an increased need for iron, such as during pregnancy or if you have a condition that causes persistent blood loss. Before any indicators of iron shortage appear, significant loss of iron reserves may occur.
When the body absorbs more iron than it needs, iron storage and ferritin levels rise. Chronic iron absorption causes a gradual buildup of iron compounds in organs, which can eventually lead to organ malfunction and failure. Even on a typical diet, this happens in hemochromatosis, a hereditary disorder in which the body absorbs too much iron.
Lab tests often ordered with a Ferritin test:
- Complete Blood Count
- Iron Total
- Iron Total and Total Iron binding capacity
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
- Lipid Panel
- Zinc Protoporphyrin
Conditions where a Ferritin test is recommended:
- Lead poisoning
- Restless Leg Syndrome
How does my health care provider use a Ferritin test?
The ferritin test is used to determine the amount of iron a person has in their body. To determine the existence and severity of iron shortage or iron overload, the test is sometimes ordered in conjunction with an iron test and a TIBC test.
One source of iron overload can be the use of iron supplements.
What does my ferritin lab test result mean?
Ferritin levels are frequently measured alongside other iron tests.
Ferritin levels are low in iron deficient people and high in people who have hemochromatosis or have had several blood transfusions.
Ferritin is an acute phase reactant that can be elevated in persons who have inflammation, liver illness, chronic infection, autoimmune disorders, or cancer. Ferritin isn't commonly utilized to detect or monitor these problems.
We advise having your results reviewed by a licensed medical healthcare professional for proper interpretation of your results.