Cardio IQ® Diabetes Risk Panel with Score -
Cardio IQ® Glucose; Cardio IQ® Hemoglobin A1c; Cardio IQ® Cholesterol, Total; Cardio IQ® HDL Cholesterol; Cardio IQ® Triglycerides; Cardio IQ® Non-HDL and Calculated Components; Cardio IQ® 8 Year Diabetes Risk
If Triglyceride is >400 mg/dL, Cardio IQ® Direct LDL will be performed at an additional charge (CPT code(s): 83721).
Permit the assessment of serum glucose levels and lipid levels and the prediction of the 8-year future risk of developing diabetes mellitus in patients without diabetes mellitus.
• Assess risk for developing type 2 diabetes mellitus
• Identify lifestyle interventions and/or pharmacotherapy
• This test provides an 8-year risk of developing type 2 diabetes
Type 1 diabetes mellitus is defined as a deficiency of insulin secretion. Type 2 diabetes, which accounts for greater than 90% of all diabetes cases, is caused by a combination of insulin resistance and an inadequate compensatory insulin secretion.
Type 2 diabetes frequently goes undiagnosed, because it has no classic symptoms of diabetes and it progresses slowly from a pre-diabetic state.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 37% of individuals that are greater than 20 years old and approximately half of those are greater than 65 years old have pre-diabetes. These individuals are at high risk for progression to type 2 diabetes and are candidates for preventive therapy that include lifestyle modification, such as weight loss, increased physical activity, and medication.
IMPORTANT: For risk calculations to be performed, the following patient-specific information must be provided and recorded at the time of specimen collection:
- Age: Years
- Gender: M (for male) or F (for female)
- Height Feet: Feet
- Height Inches: Inches
- Weight: lbs
- Race-African American: Y (for yes) or N (for no)
- Systolic Blood Pressure: mmHg
- Diastolic Blood Pressure: mmHg
- Treatment for High B.P.: Y (for yes) or N (for no)
- Diabetes Status: Y (for yes) or N (for no)
- Parental History of Diab: Y (for yes) or N (for no)
- Smoking Status: Y (for Yes) or N (for no)